Join the Sins Team!!
0.33 FTE for 12 months, with possibility for long-term
Sins Invalid is a performance project that incubates and celebrates artists with disabilities, centralizing artists of color and queer and gender-variant artists as members of communities who have been historically marginalized. Conceived and led by disabled people of color, we develop and present cutting-edge work where normative paradigms of “normal” and “sexy” are challenged, offering instead a vision of beauty and sexuality inclusive of all individuals and communities. We present multidisciplinary by people with disabilities for broad audiences; organize performance workshops for community members with and without disabilities; and offer political education workshops for community based and educational organizations that share our commitment to social justice principles as a means of integrating analysis and action around disability, race, gender, and sexuality.
The Development Coordinator will work with the Executive Director to make the organization more sustainable by increasing stakeholders, including foundations and major individual donors, and creating compelling new fundraising materials that communicate the mission, vision and work of the organization. The position is responsible to partner in planning and implementing a strategy to raise $200,000 in operating funds.
• Coordinate grants including the production and submittal of up-to-date and compelling proposals, LOIs, reports, and other collateral as needed
• Regularly research foundations landscape to identify future opportunities
• Solicit in-kind and cash donations from local businesses and community organizations
• Engage in/manage major donor approaches
• Engage on-line giving strategies including leveraging online social networking for fundraising purposes
• Interface with funders’ community and stakeholders on behalf of Sins Invalid
• Devise/implement year end major ask fundraising event and/or mailing
• Document organizational development processes & strategies
Necessary Experience and Skills:
• Minimum two years non-profit fund development experience
• A successful record of attracting and sustaining public and foundation and funding
• Proven familiarity with social justice work in a non-profit work environment
• Experience and competencies in working in a diverse work environment
• Prior experience working in teams and in collective settings
• Ability to work independently
• Experience and familiarity with non-profit finances
• Experience with grants management and reporting, including experience working with multiple public and private funders
• Understanding and commitment to anti-racist and anti-ableist principles
• Extremely strong organizational skills, excellent time management skills and proven ability to work well independently
• Strong ability to set own goals/timelines and meet deadlines independently
• Excellent written skills and proficiency writing and editing letters of intent, foundation proposals, donor letters and donor materials
• Accuracy, attention to detail, and the ability to proof own work
• Excellent oral and interpersonal communication skills
• Demonstrated experience and proficiency with Mac systems and the internet
• Experience and proficiency with Word, Excel and the internet required
• Experience using “Web 2.0″ social networking tools (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, etc.) for fundraising purposes
Preferred Experience and Skills:
• Experience and competencies in working in a mixed ability, multiracial, multi-gendered environment
• Familiarity with performance related work in a non-profit work environment
• Prior experience mentoring
• Familiarity with the California Cultural Data Project
• Familiarity with Sins Invalid’s mission and programs
Compensation and Benefits:
Sins Invalid offers a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience. This position will be located at the organization’s headquarters in Berkeley, CA.
To apply, please send an email to email@example.com. Please write “Development Coordinator” and your name in the subject line, and include three attachments as pdfs:
(1) Cover letter including your (a) full contact information (b) the reason you are interested in this position (c) your familiarity with Sins Invalid (d) the unique experience, skills and qualifications you offer to this position and to the organization.
(2) Resume with three professional references.
(3) A relevant writing sample.
We will contact you if we wish to invite you for an interview.
Sins Invalid is an equal opportunity employer. Applications are strongly encouraged from people with disabilities; people who identify as LGBTQI; people of color; women; immigrants; people living with HIV/AIDS.